Highlights of the day
The temperamental and theatrical tenth 10th seeded Fabio Fognini from Italy made it through the first round after a tough match but ended up dismissing the Brazilian Joao Sousa in three sets that lasted 2 hours and 21 minutes. Fogna confessed he was not happy but he felt lucky to pass to the second round. On the light side I learned that the Italian has a tattoo on his hip that happens to be one of the seven dwarfs, the one called “Grumpy” very fitting with his personality, and rumor goes that he is dating talented tennis player Flavia Pennetta. Number 11th seed Tommy Robredo had an easy task in dispatching qualifier David Goffin from Belgium in 83 minutes. Another Spaniard Pablo Andujar was victorious over the French Edouard Roger-Vasselin after a tiebreak in the third set in spite of the many French fans cheering for him form the tribunes. Radek Stepanek defeated giant Croatian Ivo Karlovic in two straight sets in only 58 minutes, and on Wednesday will have the pleasure to face 4th seed Roger Federer who arrived in Monaco today.
Rafael Nadal (1) had a day off and went sailing on board Tuiga as a courtesy of the Yacht Club of Monaco, while other players were battling on the clay. He said: « It’s a wonderful way to enjoy an afternoon. It was a special experience for me. I am from an island, so the sea, the sails and everything involved means a lot to me. I really enjoyed it and want to say thank you very much to all the Tuiga crew, who were very nice.».The « Toro » will premiere on Wednesday, while the other top seeds Novak Djokovic (2), Jo-Wilfred Tsonga (9) and David Ferrer (6) will debut on court central tomorrow Tuesday, and Tomas Berdych (5) will be on Court des Princes.
First round results
-  F. Fognini (ITA) d J. Sousa (POR) 57 75 64 
- T. Robredo (ESP) d [Q] D. Goffin (BEL) 64 61
- P. Andujar (ESP) d E. Roger-Vasselin (FRA) 26 75 76(5)
- [Q] A. Ramos (ESP) d J. Nieminen (FIN) 62 75
- P. Kohlschreiber (GER) d [WC] S. Bolelli (ITA) 63 64
- R. Bautista Agut (ESP) d V. Pospisil (CAN) 62 62
- L. Rosol (CZE) d [Q] E. Donskoy (RUS) 75 61
- R. Stepanek (CZE) d I. Karlovic (CRO) 61 62 [Q]
- A. Montanes (ESP) d B. Paire (FRA) 75 46 62
- L. Rosol (CZE) / R. Stepanek (CZE) d M. Cilic (CRO) / O. Marach (AUT) 62 76(5)
- [WC] J. Chardy (FRA) / G. Simon (FRA) d [PR] K. Anderson (RSA) / J. Melzer (AUT) 64 26 10-4
- M. Mirnyi (BLR) / M. Youzhny (RUS) d E. Butorac (USA) / R. Klaasen (RSA) 75 61
It has become a tradition for women to be celebrated during the tournament and were pampered the whole day, starting with morning coffee at the Malongo stand with an autographe session sponsored by Tennis Magazine and receiving gifts from partners in the village. Thanks to the main sponsor every lady left the tournament with a beautiful white rose. Besides Rolex organized their classic and exclusive lunch in the VIP village for distinguished women in the Principality hosted by Tina Zegg of Zegg & Cerlatti, in the presence of former French professional tennis player Tatiana Golovina who has forged a career in broadcasting and now works for Canal+ and France Television, and Tasha de Vasconcelos, Honorary Consul of Malawi in Monaco.
Stay tuned for more news from the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters!