First round of Davis Cup Europe/Africa Group II – Monaco 2 Latvia 3
The Monegasques gave their best playing in an indoor hard surface, very different to the clay courts at the Monte-Carlo Country Club, but the Latvians claimed victory 3 to 2, and will play Belarus in the second round.
- Martins Podzus (LAT) d. Romain Arneodo (MON) 76(5) 64 76(6)
- Mikelis Libietis (LAT) d. Benjamin Balleret (MON) 36 64 36 63 64
- Mikelis Libietis/Martins Podzus (LAT) d. Romain Arneodo/Benjamin Balleret (MON) 63 62 75
- Lucas Catarina (MON) d. Rudolfs Mednis (LAT) 5-2 ret.
- Benjamin Balleret (MON) d. Martins Podzus (LAT) w/o
Davis Cup play offs July 15-17, 2016 at the Monte-Carlo Country Club
Robert Green Ingresoll, wisely said: “The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.” With spirits running high, the Monegasques got back to training as soon as they returned home to get ready to confront the Davis Cup team from Egypt during the play-offs over the weekend of July 15-17, 2016, on the red clay of the legendary Monte-Carlo Country Club as they have choice of court. A victory will allow them to keep their position in Groupe II. Daghe Munegu!
“The strongest feelings I experienced were in Davis Cup. It was the most powerful thing: the victories and the losses. It hits you in a distinct way. It’s another level of satisfaction – another level of sadness.” David Nalbandian