Title-holder Djokovic was knocked out of Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters together with Berdych & Gasquet

Drama in Central Court

It was an exciting day at the Monte-Carlo Country Club with the top news being the defeat of world No. 1 Serb Novak Djokovic in the hands of 22-year-old Czech Jiri Vesely ranked 55. Djokovic the title-holder made a lots of unforced errors while Veselly played a flawless match. “When I went on court, I was hoping to win a game or to do well. But I really had no idea that I would be able to beat Novak today. I still can’t believe it happened,” said Vesely. If people had not heard about the Czech before they will now after this incredible feat! Novak Djokovic told the press: “This is a proof nobody’s unbeatable. Happens so many times in my career that I lose a match. It’s not the first time. Obviously it’s not easy to lose the match in terms of accepting it, right after exiting the court. But I have to congratulate my opponent. I think he played very solid. He was serving very big. He was playing tactically good and aggressive.”

Earlier on, 31-year old Swiss Stan Wawrinka (4), the reigning Roland Garros champion, beat a tough fighter Philipp Kohlschreiber 7-6, 7-2(7/5) in 96 minutes. The Swiss will face 15th seed French Gilles Simon next. The Swiss said: “It was a good first match, first match on clay. It’s never easy to find the rhythm and to play the perfect match. In general, I’m quite happy with the level already.”

Rafael Nadal (5) followed on the program. The Spaniard won comfortably in straight sets 6-3, 6-3, over 26-year old British Aljaz Bedene (originally from Slovenia) who is currently No.2 in the UK. “I’m happy for the victory. I know that I have to improve for tomorrow. But I have confidence because I have been practising very well these weeks. Let’s see if I am able to play the way that I was practising. Tomorrow is going to be a tough match against a difficult opponent,” Nadal said.

In the last match French Gael Monfils (13) also qualified for the third tour by beating Italian Paolo Lorenzi in straight sets 6-2, 6-4, and will face young Czech Vesely on Thursday.Gael Monfils Wednesday, April 13, 2016 @CelinaLafuenteDeLavotha

News from Court des Princes

The first match saw 23-year-old Qualifier Damir Dzumhur from Bosnia won over Czech Tomas Berdych (6) in three sets 6-4, 6-7, 6-3, and will next face Canadian Milos Raonic (1). The Canadian defeated Pablo Cuevas from Uruguay.

The other top seed player who exited the tournament was French Richard Gasquet (9) who lost to 22-year-old countryman Lucas Pouille who had a Wild Card entry, in three sets 6-4, 5-7, 1-6. Young Lucas will be confronting another French Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (8).

Belgian David Goffin defeated Spaniard Fernando Verdasco in three sets 7-6, 2-6, 7-6 and will be facing another Spaniard Marcel Granollers who replaced David Ferrer who forfeited due to injury.

Program for Thursday, April 14, 2016

 Program for Thursday, April 14, 2016

Program updates:

  • (WC) Lucas Pouille (FRA) vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) (8)
  • Jiri Vesely (CZE) vs Gael Monfils (FRA) (13)

Today’s Quote

“If you don’t lose, you cannot enjoy the victories. So I have to accept both things.” Rafael Nadal

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s